Tuesday 1 January 2013

And Sew On… January block

 Woohoo! Happy New Year! What better way to start 2013 than with a touch of paper piecing?
So here it is my friends, the very first block of our BoM.

Measure Twice
Measure Twice - January block for the And Sew On BoM

This is a nice easy one to get us started on paper piecing. The design was inspired by Fiona of Finding Fifth. Do pop over to her blog today – she has a post with some hints and tips on how to make this block!

Measure Twice Jan BoM

Fiona’s block is in the centre, and the one on the right is by one of the fab pattern testers, Pippa. Thanks girls!

I have also written up a tutorial as a bit of an introduction to paper piecing, using this block to demonstrate. You might find it helpful if you haven’t tackled paper piecing yet.

The pattern for Measure Twice is now available in my Craftsy store. It is free for the month of January. So what are you waiting for?! Download it, pick out some fabrics and get sewing!

craftsy_designer_badge

When you’re done with your block, pop a photo in the Flickr group to share with everyone, or let me know if you have any questions, or just start up a chat with fellow BoMers!

Plus make sure you add your photo to the linky party on this post right here (either from Flickr or a blog post). Linky party is open from today until the 31st of January. Why a linky party?! Because there are prizes up for grabs! Winners will be chosen at random from those who have linked up.

I’m sure you’d love to know what the prizes are! So! In no particular order, for the month of January, we have:
A Scrap pack from Fabricworm.
Fabricworm

A $20 gift voucher from Christa Quilts

A $20 gift voucher from Fat Quarter Shop

A Flower Fairies fabric pack from Fiona @ Finding Fifth
autumnfairypanel1

Winners for these prizes will be selected at random on the 1st February. That’s Aussie time, remember! So make sure you get your blocks linked up before the end of the month!

Happy paper piecing! Can’t wait to see your blocks!

15 comments:

  1. Shh, it's still 2012 for a couple of hours over here. I've not even washed my hair or dressed fancy yet! Anyway, have lots of fun with your BoM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much!! i have printed mine off. Your block is pretty...how did i know there would be some purple in it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the problems of technology - I'm reading this onthe iPad, but I print from a pc, (and I have NO memory) so if I email this post to the pc email eddress, then I should read it next time I get to the sewing room, then I can be reminded to print it, and then I can stitch it ... Here's hoping!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I turn myself into speedy kind I can still finish in 2012, lol. We'll see how it goes. Looks easy but I'm not sure if I pass the pick the righ fabric stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a terrific little block. So pleased to be sponsoring it from my stash (need to lose some stash weight in 2013!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sew excited about this BOM Kristy! I just found the printer paper and am about to print it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have 2 whole hours to make this in 2012:) I will refrain and wait for my tape measure fabrics to arrive, though. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great Kristy, tape measure fabric - another thing to add to my shopping list for my trip to London next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for a great pattern Kristy! Had fun while making it. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristy, the link on my photo doesn't take you to my blog. Not sure what happened. I am having problems with blogger uploading my photos recently. Have done it for years and just lately it won't allow me to browse and download it onto my blog.
    My correct blog link is:

    http://quiltsmiles.blogspot.com/

    Sorry my problem with blogspot is making this so difficult, GGGRrrrr!! If yo uhave any helpful hints, I'd sure appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jane, will send you an email as well but it looks like the address on the linky thing is around the wrong way. It has it as www.quiltsmiles.blogspot. You might be able to edit it to put the correct address in. If not - it's all good. Your block is still entered in the competition and I have a way to contact you if you're the winner :)

      Delete
  11. I have linked up, but my block was a disaster!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've downloaded the pattern, chosen the fabrics, now I've just got to find the time to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fun. I've never tried paper piecing before and this was a great motivator.

    The pattern was very beginner friendly (even if my block still ended up just this sid of FAIL!).

    Thanks for sharing the patterns for this series. I look forward to future ones (even if they're above my current skill level).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doh! I finished the block last weekend and posted to flickr, but I never linked up!! I won't miss That again....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!