Friday 22 June 2012

Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon


Is that song stuck in your head yet? Yes? Good. You’re welcome! :) It’s my theme song for this post. I’m listening to it as I type, so I like to think that it’s on replay in your head too (“you come and go, you come and gooooo” – is that enough o’s?). Right, if that hasn’t shown my age yet, we’ll move right along.

Wondering what my random tangent about Boy George and the Culture Club has to do with anything quilty like?  This little happy chappy put the song in my head.
Orange chameleon
My second chameleon paper pieced block! And look! He’s in orange! Amazing isn’t it, considering my aversion to orange. But I had a plan for this little guy and he needed to be orange.
Orange chameleon bag
I made him into a little bag as a surprise pressie for my good friend that I roped into sewing for Collaborate for a Cause. Figured she deserved something for signing on with me ;)  (Btw that lovely friend is hosting a Blogiversary giveaway – check it out here!)

As she loves orange, and blue, and Denyse Schmidt fabrics… well you see where I’m going. Those ideas all put together resulted in this little tote bag! It’s now arrived at its new home so I’m free to share pictures.
Orange chameleon bag inside 
Look, I even put orange fabric on the inside! That’s how much we’re friends. I used orange, Fiona, orange!! It went against every quilty instinct I had, but I did it! I’m not sure I can say orange is my new favourite, but I was able to sew it without shuddering.

So details – fabrics are mainly Denyse Schmidt – I don’t know the specific names but I bought them at Spotlight. I’m sure that’s very helpful information.The pattern is by Joanna of Shape Moth and is available for purchase here. I love it. It’s a fun pattern to make and very cute. I don’t normally like making patterns more than once but I love making this chameleon. I’m even thinking about another one! This is my last one so you can see how cute he looks in green.



And that, my quilty friends is my finish for this week. Even though I actually finished it ages ago. I’m pretty pleased I managed to keep it a secret all this time! Linking it up with the other fab Friday Finishers at TGIFF - it's over with Gemma at Pretty Bobbins this week.

TGIFF 2_new

Oh… and here you go. Go on. Click Play. You know you want to.

25 comments:

  1. Great song and FANTASTIC bag! Lucky Fiona! I think you might be getting lots of offers to help with sewing once people see this post ;) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Fiona was just telling me about it on the phone :) Such orangey goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your chameleon - hate the song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You NEVER cease to make me giggle with your posts and I am pressing that 'play' button for sure. Thank you sooooo much for my little tangerine friend - they are my favourite lizards for sure and I was so admiring your one last month - it was a lovely surprise. I was only thinking the other day if that pattern could lend itself to a rainbow chameleon who was in the process of changing colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those chameleons - but you are in big trouble as I won't be able to get that song out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your chameleons, I think its look on its face! I love orange but I think the green one is my favourite! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, now I'll be singing that all day! Those bags are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally clicked play. And now it's in my ears and head. :) LOVE these bags, Kristy! You are a great friend -- I'm sure Fiona is loving the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I haven't thought about Boy George in a long time. :)

    Love your chameleons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dang, now that song is stuck in my head.

    Those critters are totally FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha ha. You're too funny. I love him in orange. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How funny and cute is that! And Boy George is such a bonus - haven't heard that in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha.....yes I can heat the song playing in the back of my mind!
    Love the chameleon! =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look fab! And thanks for the song, love my 80s music.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh he (or she?) is gorgeous! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great chameleon! Never heard that song before.... already singin it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bag looks great, what a nice idea too! I'll be dancing around the house all day now, channeling my inner 80's vibe. It is a miserable day here so a bit of light relief is very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks now the song is stuck in my head. Love your tote. I have to put some music on asap to rid my head of the chameleon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a talent for color and whimsy and I love both! I've never heard the song before. I listened to it and even googled the lyrics. I still cannot say I understand it, but I can say for sure that it is pleasantly stuck in my head. :•)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhh, Boy George, cool dude, and great song! Love your little chameleon and bags - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha Ha! I hadn't thought about that song in a while! Thanks for the memories!
    I tried paper piecing, but I didn't use a pattern. It didn't work so well... I should try again, there are so many great ideas out there! The bags are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the chameleon. I think more then the culture club which I did listen to back in the day and my teenager now listens too.

    http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a awesome block...love the chameleon in orange...even though I'm not a orange fan.... classic song... guess what I recently found out Boy george is a second cousin of mine... my Dad was adopted and when we found his birth family, this was one of the things that popped up! Funny hey?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon . .. I'm singing it as I type . .. love it and LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilts and bags and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!