Wednesday 25 April 2012

Making more WiPs

I already have a number of WiPs. At least three large ones that I can think of straight off the top of my head. Pretty certain I have more than that but I can't bear to think about that too closely. WiPs make me crazy. So why do I keep adding to the list?! Cue the Mystery Quilt - the newest in my WiP club.

The quarter block has been added to and is now a quilt top!


See that star in the centre? I thought that was pretty cool. I couldn't visualise how the centres of the blocks would form a star so I think that is quite a fun little feature!



Oh and this was made with just three fabrics - my green patterned fabric is actually a cheater. It's made up of 8 stripes with different patterns for each stripe. I had to do a tiny bit of fussy cutting to get them to work for this pattern but not much at all. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

So add this to my WiP list. It needs a small white border then I'll bind it with the solid green which will also be the backing fabric if I have enough. This one is destined as a joint Mother's Day gift for my Nan. Mum bought the fabric, I'm sewing the quilt - good deal right? Well particularly when Mum threw lots of extras in when we shopped for the fabric - "Oh you need batting? Let's get 5m so it lasts forever" to which of course I said 'Thanks Mum, you're super awesome, I'll make you a quilt".

And so that my brain didn't explode with unfinished projects, I whipped up a quick finish project for me today. That and I was missing paper piecing after nearly a week of neglecting it in favour of regular piecing and quilting (I know, terrible right?!).

Here's the result:
Cute little bird isn't it? The pattern is from the Garden Party Blog Hop (lots of fab paper pieced patterns happening there!) and is designed by Liljabs.

I decided to make it into a mini wallhanging for my sewing room. Of course that would help if I added a hanging sleeve, which I didn't in my haste to finish it up. Ah well, it'll look pretty leaning against the wall I'm sure.


Looks cute with the Ta Dot binding. Total cheater binding too - it's the backing fabric wrapped round to the front and sewn down. Love shortcuts sometimes.

I also FMQ'd it to within less than an inch of its life. Except the actual bird - I thought he looked just fine without embellishment (must be a he with such pretty plumage right? I have spent too long looking at the word plumage. It doesn't even look like a word. Plus it's making me go all Princess Bride "I do not think it means what you think it means"). So the background is filled in with my attempt at a branching swirl vine thing - technical term, certainly.


I'm using my Mum's fab camera at the moment. It's pretty awesome but gosh it makes photos show up BIG and you can see all the stitches and needle holes. And this photo was sized down to 12%!! Awesome to keep in mind if I ever need something magnified to a ridiculous degree.

So now I need to go and work out the borders and backing for the Mystery Quilt as it has a bit of a deadline looming for Mother's Day.

But before I finish up - remember this awesome pouch I was given by Fiona on the weekend?


Well Fiona at Finding Fifth has written up a great tutorial to show you how to make one of your own. I have to say it's such a great size to fit all my sewing supplies in (and my rotary cutter too!).

Right, think that's enough procrastinating. Time to do something about that WiP list.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced :)



24 comments:

  1. Kristy I love your work in progress - it's beautiful and the little bird is just great. Looks difficult to do - was it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little bird is so cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that bird is gorgeous! And I'm very impressed by that snazzy centre in your mystery quilt. Great WIPS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mystery quilt looks so fabulous with that cheater fabric. I am totally envious of little robin blue breast with the teal and aqua plumage. At least we are both drowning in WiPs together. Your wit lightens my mood yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love your sweet little bird- makes me want to try one for my sewing room- it is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bird is beautiful. And as for all those well matched seams in your quilt ... Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa that bird is so perfect! Great choice of fabrics for it too! :) Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous bird and I love your mystery quilt too. My husband is a finch keeper so I'm not showing it to him or I'll have to make one to look like a finch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that little bird is stunning! I love it so much! lovely work x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bird mini is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't quite get how complicated paper piecing stops your brain exploding, but each to their own!

    Your quilt top looks great, hope you get it finished in time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mystery quilt looks great! I love all the birds your have been paper piecing and it turned out great as a wall hanging! You've inspired me to sew a quick project today! I'm drowning in WIPs myself, I need to restore my confidence in my ability to finish a project :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh..your mystery quilt is beautiful..,and I am loving that little bird piece....so many pieces and it looks so very natural...nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bird looks great. I really need to try paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your bird block! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your bird! Gives me courage to try it myself.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I love the quilt, but that bird is just fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow can't believe you added to the mystery quilt and almost have it done already! Love the paper piecing =D

    Also I've added some new fabrics into my swap shop. If you're interested feel free to check it out =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/cheraldines-swap-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kristy...I know we are buddies but I just love you and your blog. I am passing another Leibster Award to you at http://findingfifth.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/five-blogs-that-inspire-me.html?showComment=1335421374470#c4694633753014896370

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a bit of a fan of paper piecing too and think your birdie is just gorgeous. After all that hard work I think a cheaters binding is not cheating at all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I REALLY REALLY want to try that bird, but I've got too many other things to do. *sigh* maybe in a couple of months time...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way cute! I, too use VERy technical terms such as 'viney swirly thingy' as well! I mean how else would anyone know what I was talking about! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love all your wips! the birdie quilt is so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!