Monday 30 April 2012

A little bit of paper piecing... for a change.

So if you haven't noticed... I kind of like paper piecing. I'm drowing in wips right now, so it's nice to do a little paper pieced block in between to kind of clear the mind and then prepare myself to go back to the mammoth task of quilting those wips.

While I was floating about, looking at fabulous paper pieced patterns, I recently came across a freebie program called Quilt Assistant - which helps design quilt blocks and paper pieced blocks. Ooh does that not sound like fun? It's a rather steep learning curve to use it (well for me anyways, but I'm so not great at reading manuals before trying something out). So I'd um highly recommend you read the guide first. It does make things much easier.

So here is my first attempt at drafting and then sewing a paper pieced block! I went with something simple (and has likely been done before!) but I'm happy with how it looks!


The thing I love about paper piecing - look how tiny those rays get as they go into the middle and yet I didn't have to fiddle around with itty bits of fabric. I was keen to see how it would look all finished so I used great whopping chunks of fabric! Scraps be damned! That just means more fabric for paper piecing!


Oh and here's one of my possibly favourite things about Quilt Assistant - besides the fact it lets me make paper pieced patterns without having to actually draw them out on graph paper. I can play around with colours with just a few clicks! Look at this!


Oh the possibilities are endless! As you can see, I made the bottom left one. Such a simple design and so quick to make. I think these blocks would make cute cushions don't you?

Right enough of my showing off. Just pleased something I drew up on the computer actually worked in fabric!

Here are some blocks other people drew up on the computer that worked beautifully for me!

I'm calling this block Take Two. But Tiffany who designed it (t.anne quilts on Flickr) calls it Bird on a Star. Much more poetic. It's only Take Two for me as this was my second attempt at this block. This one was fully paper pieced rather than with those dreaded y-seams.

And here is one of the sweet blocks from the Garden Party blog hop.

I did have to unpick and resew a few seams here. Mainly because I sewed the butterfly's body in upside down.Yep. Smart huh? I was tempted to leave it and see if I could get away with it but it was driving me crazy! Much happier with it resewn. How on earth would a butterfly fly upside down otherwise?!

Besides all the paper piecing madness, I did give some attention to the XOXO quilt and did a bit more quilting on it.

My goodness that thing is HEAVY! I'm still not sure what I'm doing with all the quilting but I'm hoping it'll just all come together easily.

Now I'm off to play some more with Quilt Assistant instead of doing boring things like tidying the house. Hello, my name is Kristy and I am a procrastinator. ;) Hope you're having fun procrastinating too!

Linking up with Manic Monday over at SewHappyGeek and to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations. :)

14 comments:

  1. That butterfly and flowers are amazing. I love your paper piecing - I am a newbie to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your skill! The flowers and butterfly are incredible! I have been following that Garden Party series, bookmarking them for the day I have nothing to make! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you truly are a paper piecing addict! That butterfly block is adorable. How is the quilting going?? It looks like you've got it well under control in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems to me that you are doing too much :-) I'm feeling useless. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of your paper piecing design career. Wish I could join you on this journey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make this look so easy.
    McKenna
    TextileDiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I like your design and all the different color choices. They would definitely all make good cushions. The garden party block turned out gorgeoust! I love the perfectly placed butterfly in the pot! I was using one of the other Garden Party tulip patterns for a Mother's Day gift, but now I want to use these tulips (I'm very fickle!)! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow you are so clever, I don't think I have the mental capacity for this sort of thing at the moment! But I think I'm signed up for some classes at the FQ retreat in June!

    ReplyDelete
  9. more than a little paper piecing - you've got a lot going on. those tiny slivers look so great. Happy quilting

    ReplyDelete
  10. The program looks cool, great to see some more paper piecing! They would make some great pillows or mini's =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That block is striking!! I never heard of Quilt Assist....can you tell me what this is? I think all of your pieces are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your block looks great :-) Thanks for sharing the site. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really inspiring paper piecing. I might have to try a mini-quilt butterfly...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!