Friday 23 March 2012

A finished quilt!

With having what feels like a very long wip/planned projects list at the moment, it's rather exciting to have something finished! I had hoped to have two quilts finished this week, but that Diamonds in Squares quilt is still misbehaving and is sitting in time out until it's ready to deal with the consequences of its wonky borders.

So here's a quilt that behaved beautifully from start to finish - including having just the perfect amount of polka dot fabric for the binding. Yippee! Don't you love when that happens?

Please excuse the helper on the right of the picture. Can't wait til she's big enough to hold the quilts for photos!

I think this is the best binding I've done yet - which isn't hard considering I'm still a newbie to this binding business. I don't hand sew so it's all machine done.


I did muck it up a bit in that I meant to sew it to the back first and finish it on the front, giving the front a bigger binding. But I went into autopilot mode and just sewed. Only noticed when I went to put the finishing touches on. Oops. But it's okay - I've decided I like it this way as a thicker binding might have been a bit too much with so many different fabrics on this quilt.

  And it works on the back where it's a bit less busy.

I like that it looks like the little pups have just run across the quilt top with muddy footprints. All in all, a happy quilt ready to be sent off to the new owners who will probably drool, shed, and possibly pee on it. And I'm okay with that. They are dogs after all.


 Linking this finish up with TGIFF which is over at Don't Tell Quilts this week! :) Check out her cute little argyle robot quilt!

And linking to This Week at Love Affair with my Brother because I'm a bit pleased with this quilt :)




13 comments:

  1. It looks great!! I love the binding!!! So glad I was here to see the progress and updates!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love the paw prints!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slinky dog is so cute! Love those paw prints too, Kristy. Those dogs are very lucky to get this quilt. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Way cute. I tried machine binding once and it totally beat me. Hats off to yours; it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were are weiner dog I would soooooo love this quilt! I feel like snuggling up with a copy of 'Schnitzel Von Crumm's Basketwork' by Lynley Dodd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt! And I love the binding. I only hand sew mine - not enough control of my machine to get a neat finish, but you look like you've done a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks brilliant, the spotty binding really finishes it off. Ideal for Dalmatians, I think you are on to something with these doggy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this quilt! So cute! I love your helper too, my son does exactly the same thing. For every quilt photo I take there is always another one with him in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the paw prints...very cute! Nice touch of detail on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great! The polka dot binding was the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness...that quilt is too cute! I love it!

    Vicki @ Quilting Lodge

    ReplyDelete
  12. great quilt - I just picked up the book with this quilt from the library this week ! and love your special touch of little paw prints on the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and so fun! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!